January 15, 2012

Challenge for the Week—Exercise, exercise, exercise

Update from last week--

A few weeks ago I started writing about how I set weekly goals for myself, and thus far, posting about the progress has been a great way for me to stay accountable and keep on track with my goals.  Not sure if anyone else is getting anything out of this, but I hope so.

Last week, I wrote the goal to start a weekly practice for our family of learning Bible verses:

I was inspired to start a tradition in our family of having a Bible verse of the week.  I’ll write out a Bible verse each week and will keep it at the dinner table.  Whenever we sit for meals (which is pretty often in our household), we’ll read over the verse together and learn it by heart.  This week’s verse will be from Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”  This is one of my favorite verses from the Bible.

How did I do?  I am so glad we started doing this!  Thus far we’ve memorized two verses—Philipians 4:13 and Romans 8:28 (two of my favorites).  Hubby has picked the verse for this week, and we’ll start practicing it tonight.  As part of introducing the verse, we talk as a family about what it means and how it relates to the Bible as a whole and other Biblical stories.  Then, at each meal, we practice the verse together.  We will most definitely continue this as part of our meal time conversation for weeks to come.

Goals for this week--

unnamed This week’s goal doesn’t really relate to anything I’ve been reading. I’ve become increasingly aware lately about what a gift of love it is for those you care for to take care of your health.  Eating right and exercising always were a self centered activity for me up until the point when we became pregnant.  (Note that when I say “self centered” I’m not referring to narcissistic.  I’m referring to how we perceive our own health—it is for the good of self).  Then all of the sudden someone else was dependant upon me to take care of myself.  What I put into my body and how I cared for it mattered to someone else, and I paid attention to every little part of that.  Then after our daughter weaned, I became a little more lax.  I still tried to eat healthy and exercise because she was watching me, but it was easier to slack. 

Because I work with older adults and because I help to care for my dad, I have a reminder of how important it is to take care of your health.  It wasn’t until I my dad started to have some problems with his health and I was taking a more active role in his care that it hit me that one day our daughter might be in the same role.  I realized that it is an act of love to her, to my husband, to my friends and family to take care of myself.  The longer I stay strong and healthy, the longer I’m able to be there for them. 

I started a new exercise regimen that is a lot more fast paced for me.  Normally I do a little yoga here and there, some walking with jogging mixed in, and stay active in our yard.  I’d been reading from other bloggers the progress that they had made with Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred, and I decided that it was worth trying.  I started the daily DVD a week ago.  The first exercise practice kicked my tushie.  I have worked out with trainers before, and they have pushed me but never like this.  I was so sore after the first day and then pulled a muscle the third day.  If it hadn’t been for the support of my Hubby also using the DVD daily, I might not have lasted.  I have stuck with it, and I’m starting to see some positive changes.  My legs and arms are feeling stronger and more toned, and I notice that I have a little more energy. 

I want to keep the momentum going because I know that if I stop for a day then one day will become three and eventually the DVD will have dust on it.  As part of my goals for the week, I’m planning to:

1.  Make sure that each day on my calendar includes “workout” listed on it as a priority.  All too often I’ll plan a day packed full of activities, chores, and other priorities without ever thinking about exercise.  If I don’t prioritize it, it won’t happen.

2.  I want to workout using the DVD every day this week.  Yep, every day—no days off.  If I can find a way to adapt to the exercises after a pulled muscle then I can find a way to do them even when I  have a packed day or am “too tired”.  If I allow myself an excuse, guess what?  I’ll use it. 

Did any of you start a new exercise program as part of your New Year Resolutions?  If so, how is it going?  Have any of you used the DVD I mentioned above?

No comments:

Post a Comment