January 4, 2012

Challenge for the week—Memorizing Bible Verses

Update from last week--

A few weeks ago I started writing about how I set weekly goals for myself, and thus far, posting about the progress has been a great way for me to stay accountable and keep on track with my goals.  Not sure if anyone else is getting anything out of this, but I hope so.

Last week, I wrote goals that related to a book I recently read, The Question Behind the Question.  

This week I want to work on asking myself how I can positively impact situations rather than becoming frustrated when something negative happens.  The book talks about how important it is to be accountable for yourself—you can’t change others and many times you can’t change situations, but you can control how you choose to interact and respond.  You can control what YOU DO. I read the book in about an hour, and while it wasn’t brand new information, it was a great reinforcement of what I already know through using cognitive behavioral therapy as a social worker—change the way you think about a situation, and you change the way you feel about it.  Those little changes add up and effect your relationships, your work, your life. 

Since this goal is a little hard to measure, I’m going to break it up into smaller goals that I can check off.  I’ll sign up for the QBQ e-newsletter so that I have little reminders as they arrive in my inbox.  When I notice myself becoming frustrated in a situation, I’ll stop and ask myself, “What can I do?”  Hopefully that use of self talk will spur me to positive action.  I’ll also make a few notes about the QBQ concepts and post them around the house.  We’ll see how it goes.

How did I do?  Pretty well.  I think that this is going to be something that I need to continuously remind myself to improve upon.  I found the intentional action of asking myself, “What can I do differently?” was helpful when I found myself frustrated or in a situation that I would normally see as negative.  For example, I used the QBQ today at the Kroger pharmacy.  I’m not a huge fan of their pharmacy, but my dad needed a medication filled and I was the gal for the job.  The clerk acted as if she was frustrated over having to help me when I asked her to make sure his insurance was properly processed.  When I noticed her storming around the pharmacy and acting frustrated, I reminded myself that I had a choice.  If first thought to myself that I wasn’t sure how her day had gone and this might be a hard one for her.  When she returned, I said, “I’m sorry that was so difficult.  Thank you for doing that for me.”  It changed the dynamic between us and her attitude towards helping me for the better. 

Last week when I wrote the post about reading the QBQ book, the author left a comment and asked for me to email him.  I was absolutely thrilled and even more so when he offered to send me a free copy of his follow up book to QBQ called Flipping the Switch!  I plan to read it next week and am very much looking forward to it.  I’ll keep you posted on what I learn.

Goals for this week--

I’m reading the book Thou Shall Prosper by Rabbi Daniel Lapin.  I haven’t made it too far into the book yet, but I’m learning a lot.  At different points in the book, Rabbi Lapin talks about how important the oral tradition of telling the stories of the Torah are in the Jewish faith.  I realized that while we teach our daughter about the Bible, read from it to her, etc, we aren’t yet encouraging her to memorize verses.  While somewhat unrelated to the purpose of the book, I was inspired to start a tradition in our family of having a Bible verse of the week.  I’ll write out a Bible verse each week and will keep it at the dinner table.  Whenever we sit for meals (which is pretty often in our household), we’ll read over the verse together and learn it by heart.  This week’s verse will be from Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”  This is one of my favorite verses from the Bible. 

Lapin2e As for the book, it is a longer read than some others I’ve tackled recently, though I’m finding it intriguing.  If you haven’t yet read it, I highly recommend you check it out of the library or order a copy.  Part of my family is Jewish, and it has helped me to better understand some of the differences and likenesses between cultures and faiths.  I’ve had quite a few “ah-ha” moments and have gained a new insights into approaches I can use in business and life in general. 

How many of you set New Year’s Resolutions for 2012?  How are you doing with them thus far?

No comments:

Post a Comment