February 28, 2012

Remember me? A quick update

Hello everyone!  My how time has flown.  What have I done with the time since I last wrote a blog post?  A quick update below will give you a recap. 

  • Played in the dirt planting carrot, snow peas, radishes, and beet seeds—Finally!  I planted a lot later than I normally would have, but I kept fighting the rain.  As soon as I’d get a good chance to plant, we’d have a downpour.  I still have more to plant, and I’ll get to it…eventually. 
  • Enjoyed the beautiful weather when it was warm.  I even managed to jog in the park.  I beat the distance that I had been able to jog by a significant amount, and I feel good about building a little more endurance.  Now folks, I tend to run when something is chasing me and that is about it.  However, I’m getting a little in a rut with the workout video that I have been using, and I thought I’d try and switch things up a bit.  We’ll see, I might become a jogger/runner yet. 
  • Used coupons for the church (and for us).  Scored some Raisin Bran for the food pantry at under $1 last week.  Snagged some good buys on pizza rolls, and a few freebies here and there.  I had fallen out of the routine of organizing the coupons for our family and for the church, and what a difference it makes to have a better system. 
  • Attended some funerals, mourned the loss of relatives too far away to attend their funerals, attended some birthdays, celebrated a neighbor getting pregnant—as is the cycle of life.  “To every thing there is a season…”
  • Enjoyed lunches with friends, playdates, volunteering, letter writing, and time with my husband and our daughter.
  • Worked.  I’m so grateful to have a calling that allows me to get paid while doing something I love, where I feel like I’m making a difference, and still allows me to be there for our daughter.  I tell the people with whom I work often how grateful I am to be able to do work that matters. 
  • Focused.  It is the Lenten season and that is a special time for me to focus and grow spiritually.  God makes change happen, and I’m depending on Him to help me with the things that I’ve chosen to work on during Lent. 
  • Had a messy house.  While I’ve been working on getting things better organized, I’ve not been as diligent with deep cleaning and keeping up with things.  Sometimes I think that the laundry breeds overnight while I’m sleeping.  Like the joke goes, the more I do laundry, the more I get why some people are nudists.  ;)
  • Planned.  We have a big bathroom remodeling that we plan to start working on soon.  I am aching to get it going, as I’m tired of looking at the bathroom as it is.  
  • Read.  I was blessed to receive the book Flipping the Switch by Mr. John Miller as a gift.  I loved this book!  It was even meatier than the QBQ book, and I think it is going to be one of my new favorite gifts to give people.  I highly recommend it.  I’ve also began re-reading the book More than Enough by Dave Ramsey (also fantastic), and I’m completing the new book by Money Saving Mom The Money Saving Mom’s Budget (very inspirational!).  I find myself reading more nonfiction these days than fiction, and I foresee a little candy for the brain added to my list of library books soon.  I’m a nut for a good mystery, and I’ll have to check and see if any of my favorite authors have any new releases.  Anyone have any recommendations?
  • Traveled.  Daughter and I made a trip to Memphis to see our family there while Hubby enjoyed a guy weekend.  All went beautifully until we were coming home and we hit snow.  We decided not to chance going over the mountains in the Crossville area and stayed overnight in Cookeville.  When I heard about the troubles others had on the roads, I was glad we stopped when we did.  On the plus side, I was able to watch some Food Network—the thing that I miss the most about not having cable!
  • Napped, dilly-dallied, flipped through magazines, and did all sorts of other mindless activities to rest and rejuvenate.  Self care is important!

Whew!  While I haven’t been especially busy, the blog hasn’t been at the top of my list of priorities.  I appreciate your kind words and emails checking on me.  As I mentioned after the blogging hiatus, I’m not sure how often I’ll be blogging.  I tend to post a few more links and freebies on Facebook and as always encourage you to check out my links page.  There are some amazing local and regional bloggers that are very on top of things and do a great job of keeping you posted about deals—you can find them linked there. 

Thanks for reading! 

2 comments:

  1. Saw your post on FB and wanted to stop by and say "hi". If you still read Jeremiah 29:11, you'll see tomorrow that I'm going to do a bit of a "fast" from that blog. I've truly felt God leading me in that direction for quite some time, but just didn't give in. I didn't read my daily devotional until this evening...after I had written my post for tomorrow...and it was a very strong confirmation that was the right decision. Also...I wanted to ask...what kind of "work" do you do? I would love to get involved in something dealing with CHRISTian ministry. Thanks for being such a great supporter...I think of you every time I use one of the school coupons!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are able to take a break. God speaks to us in so many ways and only He knows how the blog fast will unfold in your life.

    I'm a social worker and work with older adults. God called me to work with older people even as a young child, and the journey has been an amazing one. ;).

    Blessings to you! Thanks for your sweet email!!

    ReplyDelete