April 1, 2012

Knoxville: 10 Days of Real Food Challenge

100days With inspiration from my friend Erica at Child Organics I’ll be participating in the Knoxville 10 Days of Real Food Challenge.  (Check out her Pinterest Board for the challenge here).  As I told her, I’m not entirely sure how this will work for Easter, since it is our family’s big holiday.  (Picture our Eastern European family eating lots and lots of sausage, and you’ll know why.)  My plan is to write updates on how it is going, what I’m learning, and sources for local foods.  Go here to learn more about blogger Lisa Leake and her 100 day real food challenge which inspired Erica. 

The idea that we have to challenge people to eat real food is a little difficult for me to wrap my head around.  My grandparents would have laughed and laughed at this idea as they would have this idea of going to a gym and exercising instead of just working hard as part of your day.  Yet, as I look at the coupon matchups to see what deals I can snatch, I see why it is indeed a challenge for families of today.  Processed foods are all around us.  As I read over the rules for the first time, they aren’t too far away from how I try to cook and feed our family.  Then I go a step further and look at the coffee that I have been drinking with flavored sugar free creamer (not a thing in it is “real”).  I notice the bread, that while whole wheat, isn’t perfect with its ingredient list.  No HFCS, but still, not perfect.  The list could go on and on, and what this challenge does for me is give me a swift kick in the pants.  While I’m not thinking that I’ll manage every bit of the rules for the next 10 days, I hope that writing about it gives some of you who are trying to eat more natural and less processed foods some inspiration and ideas on how to do so.

I hope you’ll join in, add comments to either my posts or to Erica’s, or at the very least just read along as we go through this journey.  Stay tuned…

1 comment:

  1. yay! We're glad you're on board. :-)I look forward to your updates!

    ReplyDelete