May 23, 2012

Buttermilk Chess Pie

I made this for a sweet neighbor who helped us out with a part of our bathroom remodel.  It occurred to me that I hadn’t posted this recipe on the blog yet, and it is definitely one you’ll want to try if you haven’t yet.  It has a ton of sugar, a ton of butter, and a ton of love it in=don’t feed to diabetics, folks on a diet or people you don’t love.  It is a Southern staple that was found at almost every potluck I attended in my childhood.  Enjoy!

I *think* that this was my mother’s recipe.  It is in a file of family recipes but I can’t remember if it were hers or another relative—hate I can’t give proper credit where it is due.

DSC_7663 Buttermilk Chess Pie

2 regular depth pie crusts
2 c. white sugar
2 T. all purpose flour
2/3 cup buttermilk (I prefer Cruze Dairy Farm buttermilk)
5 eggs lightly beaten
2 t. vanilla extract (I just give it a big blop into the batter and don’t bother to measure it)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter melted but not super hot

1. Blind bake the pie crusts.  While preheating your oven to 350 degrees, heat the pie crusts in the oven (poke a few holes in the crust to let the steam escape if you choose).  By cooking the crusts for about 7 or 8 minutes, you’ll start the cooking process and prevent the crust from being mushy when the pies are finished.  Remove the pie crusts and set them on the counter while you mix the rest of your ingredients.

2.  Mix all other ingredients but note that if your butter is super hot, it is best to temper the eggs into the mixture to prevent them from scrambling.  I usually add the coldish buttermilk to the sugar, flour, and extract mixture, then add the butter, mix thoroughly and then add the eggs.  I don’t bother with an electric mixer and mostly use just a fork.  You could get fancy and use a whisk if you want to make yourself feel more like Julia Child.  It isn’t necessary though.  The main thing that you’ll want to do before adding the mixture to the pie crusts is to run a rubber spatula around the sides of the bowl and the bottom to make sure everything is incorporated. 

3.  Divide the mixture between the pie crusts fairly evenly and place them in the oven. 

4.  Bake about 35 minutes at 350 degrees.  It helps to rotate them at about 20 minutes if you can manage it without spilling the mixture.  The finished product will give a very slight jiggle in the middle.  Let cool on the counter.  Devour. 

Note that this is an especially good recipe.  OK, I was going to say for whom but when the list became too long, I decided to abbreviate it to that.  ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment