June 25, 2013

Five Frugal Tips My Father Taught Me—Part 5

Today is the last day of the series.

Frugality Tip #5

My father taught me to give freely.  Yes, I guess that probably sounds funny as a frugality tip. However, my father taught me that giving to and helping others and sharing what you have is sort of the point of being on this earth.  One of the best parts about couponing for me is that I’m able to give so much to our church food pantry.  One of the most fun parts of getting a good deal on something is being able to buy an extra and giving it to someone who would like it. 

In my experience some of the most giving people are also the most thrifty.  Note that there is a very big difference in being frugal or thrifty and in being a miser or cheap.  Frugal people realize the value in things and know that stuff is just stuff. 

Take away--

  • The next time you see a matchup with a free or cheap item on the list buy extras and give them away to someone who might need them.
  • Clean out your stockpile and donate extras to your local food pantry, senior center or homeless shelter.
  • Share the bounty of your garden with friends, relatives or neighbors.

These five frugality lessons are only a fraction of what my father taught me throughout my lifetime.  He was one of the best people I have ever known, and I will always miss him.  If even one tip that I’ve provided here inspires you to try something new or pass on a learning to someone else, I am proud because it means that in some way he lives on. 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment